Create an Attractive Author Web Site: https://markpaulauthor.com/
- Photo Gallery. Blog Articles. Editorial Review Media Room. Bio. Book Trailer. Podcasts. “Buy” Links to Amazon, B & N, Apple Books, etc.
- Respond to readers that email you from your author site – I send them an “epilogue” and request an Amazon review (I have been fortunate to attract over 500 reviews)
Create a Compelling Book Title and Visual Cover! (something that induces the reader to learn more)
- Use Professionals! Editors – Publishers – Social Media – Other Marketers
- Use Amazon Ad Words – study https://kindlepreneur.com/
- Be SURE to re-write your Book Description with https://kindlepreneur.com/amazon-book-description-generator/ or other program!
- Be sure to use “Editorial Reviews” and “Recent Praise” as many readers – read who wrote the review or praise more than the actual review or praise (try to get known sources whenever possible)
- https://publisherrocket.com/?affiliate=kpreneur Great for seeing the competition
- https://www.kdspy.com/ Great for seeing the competition
- I have 600 key words HOWEVER – my best success is with “Automatic Targeting” (AMAZON CHOOSES the “keywords”) Use “Dynamic Bids Up & Down”
- 4 categories- be aggressive with “Close Match” and Loose Match” Be careful of “Complements” and “Substitutes”
- Keep your ACOS under 70% (initially may be higher while you test)
- Determine your 20 Amazon Categories (10 for Kindle and 10 for Print) Choose wisely!
- Pick 4 “EASIER” categories you can be a top 10 Seller – try to be #1 in at least 1! Even if you lose money on Amazon in this 1 category- fight for it!
- Pick 6 more competive categories that sell a lot of books!
- Consider a Video Book Trailer – if you can make it exciting and interesting with music and copy. Keep it under 60 seconds.
- YouTube book trailer video ads
- Consider an Audio Book
- Twitter & Facebook Ads
- Email to your “Tribe” with links to your author site
- ASK for Amazon reviews from everyone!
- Send out paperbacks to industry media sources (obtain a USPS account- and mail out books in the “window” mailing large envelopes $7.15 per book) Do a nice cover letter each time.
- Create Author Business Cards (mine features the book cover on one side)
- FYI -I don’t give out “free books” to anyone but the media- it’s too much of an obligation to ask people to spend 6 + hours reading a book – if they want it- they will buy it!
- Market everyday! Advertise! Spend!
- In summary – do not be afraid to self-publish or hire a paid publisher. I succeeded because I had the freedom to aggressively promote the book myself. And, I love controlling my own content and making my own marketing decisions.
Commit fully. You must tell everyone you have a great book and you are going to be a successful author. If you do not believe it, why will they?